Flatirons Locksmiths, a full service locksmith company Tip#11. This post is dedicated to the safety of the women in our lives. It seems that every time we turn on the news, read a paper, or listen to the radio, we are reminded about just how important it is to be concerned about our safety and the safety of those we love; particularly, our women.
A particularly vulnerable time for women is when they are on their own at night walking to their car in a dark parking lot or street. How can women better protect themselves from predators and help eliminate the risk of putting themselves in a potentially vulnerable situation? Here are a few tips on what Women, and even men, can do to better ensure their personal safety:
• Be aware of your surroundings. Pay attention to those who are around you and the environment in which you are in, in case something seems out of the ordinary or questionable.
• There is always safety in numbers and so if you are out for a “night on the town” , then be sure to have a least one other person with you as you walk the streets at night.
• Before leaving a store, restaurant, or friends home be sure to have your car keys in hand so that you are not fumbling in the dark in a dim lit parking lot, a dark quiet street or an eerie ally-way.
• If someone should attack you and your car keys are in your hand then hold your keys tightly in your hand like you would a dagger and stab at your attackers face. Keys can inflict enough damage and pain to cause your attacker to loosen his grip on you and give you enough time to get away.
• It’s a good idea if you are out shopping or dining at night to park nearest the entrance and also under the parking lot light. (And much of the time you can ask for help out with your groceries.)
• Keep your exercise routine to daylight hours. If you are one who enjoys getting outside to burn off your extra calories then we suggest that you take a run or walk with a friend or at least always let someone know where you plan on exercising and for how long you think you’ll be gone. Keep your earphones turned low so that you can still be in tune to what is going on around you.
These are just a few tips and of course there are many more that you can use to better ensure your safety. Be vigilant when out and about and always make sure to take safety precautions at home by changing your locks if you have had your keys lost or stolen or have had a roommate move out. It’s important to be sure to lock up when you come and go and make sure your windows and screens are secure.
Flatirons Locksmiths operates in Boulder & Broomfield County in Colorado, answering calls to Boulder, Broomfield, Superior, Louisville, Lafayette, Erie, Niwot & Longmont. We look forward to serving you! Call us at 303-586-6496.